wipe down before epoxy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sluggo

wipe down before epoxy

Post by sluggo »

Hi,

What do you like to use to wipe down the hull prior to fiberglassing? I've vacuumed the hull but there is a lot of fine dust that needs to be wiped off. I'm not sure water is the best for the final wipe because it may raise the grain again? On the other hand, acetone might dry too fast for efficient wiping so I'm thinking isopropyl alcohol.

thanks
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Vacuum only. I do it three times with about 30 to 60 minute intervals. This allows airborne dust to settle. After the third vacuuming, it is ready for glass/epoxy. Using any liquids could possibly contaminate the wood surface. Oh yes, do not use a tack rag either. It will deposit a residue that will prevent epoxy adhesion.
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

thanks Glen. I assume that you use a shop-vac or equivalent? Which attachment (if any) do you use? I know these are kind of dumb questions because I'll find out for myself but sometimes it's nice to get pointed in the right direction. For example, if your experience shows that a brush attachment works best I would never find out because I don't have one.

cheers!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I just use a (series of) soft white cloths after vaccuming. When they stop turning light brown from dust they picked up I'm ready to glass.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Yes Doug, I use the round brush attachment. I find it to be a great part of the Shop-Vac system.