Delamination

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
PAULIE

Delamination

Post by PAULIE »

:sad Greetings all; I need some suggestions on some repair work. While on a trip down the Peace River here in N.E. BC. my freighter got sideways in some fast water and we struck a rock. There appears to be no damge on the exterior of the canoe except for a small star shaped crack which I have dealt with. The big damage was on the inside where there is a pie plate sized delamination of the glass and resin from the cedar strips. The hull is 3 layers of glass and 9 layers of resin both on the interior and exterior. The strange thing about this delamination is the glass and resin layers did not appear to have seperated from the wood. it appears the area has pulled a thin layer of the cedar apart leaving it attached to the glass. I can push this area back flush with the inner hull with little effort. Can I drill some holes and inject some heated epoxy in to this void and glue it back down, or do I need to cut this area out and do a more thourough repair?
Thanks, have fun and wear your PFD.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Paulie,
I think that would work OK. The challenge will be getting the whole area epoxied. Several holes like you suggest will probably do fine. You might consider cutting the epoxy a little to help it flow and sink in to the cedar, and heating the whole area first is probably a good idea. You should come up with some system, either weights or clamps/push sticks to hold the whole mess tight while the epoxy sets. Sand off the out squeeze, varnish and I think you'll be in good shape.

Anyone else?

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Even if gluing the area back in place works well, I would still add a patch over the damaged area and extend it about 6" all around.
PAULIE

thanks

Post by PAULIE »

Thanks for the replys. One gets a little edgy while contemplating surgery. I'll let you know how it works.