Installing outer stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
lamarkeiko

Post by lamarkeiko »

Thanks Larry, and everyone else for your tips. I think I'm going to try a short mortice, close to 3/8" from inner stem. I have some short scraps of ash that are the same height and width of my outer stems that I am going to shape and try morticing into place first. If it looks ok, I'll transfer the shape on to my outer stems and install them. I'll post my results when I'm done. This probably won't be done until a couple weeks from now.

Lamar
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Glen,
This thread had a link to some of your pics regarding leaving the mortice for the outer stem, but the link is now broken. Do you have them somewhere else?

I am getting close to applying the strips in this area and want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks,
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Sorry about that, here is the new link: http://woodcanoes.multiply.com/photos/a ... uter_Stems
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Thanks Glen, that helps.
Now that its warm enough to get back out in the garage, I am anxious to get going again. My concern is that transition point where the strips start being trimmed perpendicular to the stem as opposed to parallel to the face of the stem. I am a few inches away from that I believe.
I guess the clue to knowing when you are at this this point is when the exposed strip end grain would be wider if I was to keep trimming parallel. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Dave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I guess the clue to knowing when you are at this this point is when the exposed strip end grain would be wider if I was to keep trimming parallel. Is that correct?
That is correct. You are better off switching too soon than too late, at least that is easy to correct when you actually cut the mortice.
DaveA

Post by DaveA »

Excellent, thanks for the tips!

Dave