Fasteners

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jpowers123

Fasteners

Post by jpowers123 »

When using fasteners for the gunwhales, what are accetable fasteners? Sainless steel sheet metal screws are readily available at big box stores, as are brass wood screws. Are either of these acceptable, and in what use (i.e. flush exposed or plugged) I know I have seen discussion of silicone bronze, but do not have immediate access to this item. I could get my hands on some stainless steel wood screws but I would have to either mail order or drive quite a distance to get them. What about the carriage bolt material. Thanks for ther help. I am almost done.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I usually use stainless steel wood screws and cap them. You can also use brass wood screws, capped. Brass discolors when left exposed thus the cap. Stainless can be left exposed but I prefer to cap. Silicon bronze and monel are higher quality marine fasteners but too pricey for my needs IMHO.
croyally

Post by croyally »

McFeely's is a great source for any of the above mentioned screws and very fast service. Mcfeely's is available online
jpowers123

Post by jpowers123 »

Hey, thanks for the quick response. I assume the stainless is stronger than the brass?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Stainless is strong, brass is soft. Before inserting a brass screw you should always drive in a steel screw then remove and replace it with the brass screw otherwise the brass could easily break upon insertion.
jpowers123

Post by jpowers123 »

Sounds like I ought to use the stainless then. Is there enough of a diference between wood and sheetmetal to be of concern. I can get some stainless sheetmetal screws five minutes from the house.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

With all the hours put into this project, I would definitely use wood screws. Why compromise at this point?
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Do not use brass. They will blow apart on you in hard woods. Silcone bronze is the way to go. Stainless will to rust over time and then you have black marks and when you take it out the wood may be slighlty rotten in the hole. You will then have to put in a larger screw to hold again. I have taken bronze screws out of 50 year old boats and they are like new.
SpiveyMtnMan

Post by SpiveyMtnMan »

Go to the hardware store and buy a $.99 wax commode seal, take it out of the box and stick the tip of all your screws in the beeswax before installing them. This lubricates the screw and keeps it from seizing due to friction. Also provides a little protection from moisture and makes it easier to back the screws out for repairs or winter storage. I use this trick in cabinet installion a lot, it also works for Tapcons into concrete.
BrownDog Boats- Bring the Dog!
jpowers123

Post by jpowers123 »

Are there any reasonably priced sources for silocone bronze hardware out there?
sedges

Post by sedges »

silicon bronze is always high, but I love the stuff.

http://www.mertons.com/Fastenings/index.html

This is the only place I know to get 6"x3/16" SB carriage bolts. They are great to hang seats, but the price is steep. I usually use 4" if I can. Some times you can use a 4 on the front and 6 on the back of a stern seat.

Their SB wood screws are priced about the same as others. Get the frearson heads and a bit for your drivers. Slots are a pain.

Jamestown Distributors also has SB wood screws, but Merton's is the only place I've seen the long 3/16 bolts.