Cherry Gunwale Dimensions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ben

Cherry Gunwale Dimensions

Post by Ben »

After searching posts, I still have questions...I am just about done with the inside of my Freedom 17-9, and I bought cherry for the gunwales today. I am trying to decide how big to make the gunwales. This is going to be a tripping canoe, so I don't want them too heavy, but I don't want them to break under my 240# butt! For the inwales, I an thinking about 3/4" X 3/4" with 3/8" deep scuppers. For the outside, I am thinking 3/4" tall X 1/2" or 5/8", with a chamfer cut. Does this sound about right? What size will I need to countersink for the seat bolts?

Thanks!
Rick

Post by Rick »

For the inwales, I an thinking about 3/4" X 3/4" with 3/8" deep scuppers.
I used white pine inwales for lightness and they were strong enough, even though pine is softer and more brittle than cherry. The size was about 3/4" X 3/4" slightly wider than a bolt head. If you are countersinking the bolt heads, the inwales will need to be wider than that.

Cedarstrips, especially those with some tumblehome, are generally rigid hulls and a thick, heavy-looking outwale shouldn't be necessary... I went with 3/16 ash, rabetted out from a larger pirce to an inside L-shape so that it fits over both top and sides. Cherry is softer than ash, so a little more material might be necessary to absorb any splintering on rocks, accidents, etc.
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

3/4 x 3/4 on the outwale is the biggest they would need to be. If you plan on using screws from inside to hold the gunnels on, you will need them to be 3/4" thick so you have enough wood to hold the screw. If you epoxy them on, you might be able to trim them to 3/4 x 1/2 (wide). Inwales should be 3/8 x 3/4. that is usually enough room to get seat bolts through. I normally do my scuppers with blocks and space them and then place my fastener through the inwale, through the scupper block, through the hull and into the outwale as far as possible.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I am planning on epoxying on the outwales, so I should be able to get away with the thinner dimension. I ordered SB Carriage Bolts this week from Mertons, and the guy I talked to said that the heads were a bit under 1/2" diameter. I may have to go 3/4" wide on the inwale as I would like to countersink and cap the heads. The scuppers will be machined into the inwale, so technically it will be a 3/8" inwale with 3/8" scuppers.
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

Then just make sure to plan you seat size so the bolts can go thorugh the part that is 3/4" and you should be fine.