Shaping outer stems

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
anthony karakas

Shaping outer stems

Post by anthony karakas »

Hey everybody, i have a question regarding shaping the outer stems on a Ranger. So far i have used a spokeshave and low angle block plane shaping the vertical parts of the outer stems. But as the stems curve over the hull, the two aforementioned tools seem to lose their efficacy. Any advice on shaping this part of the outer stems?
Glen Smith

Re: Shaping outer stems

Post by Glen Smith »

I use a sanding stick as shown by John Michne: http://www.michneboat.com/Shaping%20the%20Stems.htm

anthony karakas

Hi Glen,

Are we talking about the same thing? I am referring to the outer stems, and when i clicked on the link you provided it refers to the inner stems. I did use that technique
for the inner stems. Are you saying it works for the outer stems as well?
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Anthony, I found the spokeshave to work great rounding the corner, you just have to twist as you go around. I also carefully used a belt sander to make the joint from the cedar to the cherry stem a nice smooth transition (and to speed things up a bit). I also used a sanding block that would effectively do the same as the sanding sticks Glen shows. For rounding things off I first shave a rough shape, sanded with the block, then used a narrow strip of sandpaper with my hands held along the hull on either side and stroked this back and forth to get a nice smooth rounded finish.

This actually has been my favourite bit of work on the canoe to date.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Oops, my mistake. To shape the outer stems I use the spokeshave, sanding stick, sanding block and hand-held sandpaper.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I use a spokeshave to get it close and then a blockplane to finish the job followed by very careful/light sanding. Sanding is a bit dangerous as the stems are harder than the soft wood of the hull and the hull will sand faster than the stems...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
anthony karakas

Thank you gentlemen for the advice....I can now return to the task with renewed vigor!