Mixing West System fillers

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Preacher

Mixing West System fillers

Post by Preacher »

Hello all, i'm a noob at the epoxy game. I'm at the stage in my prospector where i'm about to glue the stems on. I'll be using thickened epoxy with 403 filler, but, would it be ok if i mixed in a little 410 filler also for colour?
I'm using Paulownia, a farmed light brown/white soft wood and the 410 filler would give a decent colour match.
Cheers
Rod Tait

Re: Mixing West System fillers

Post by Rod Tait »

MIxing other fillers in there should not be a problem. Gap should be a small as possible but I like to mix it to darker of the coloured wood used as it is easier to hide darker filler to darker wood.
Rabbit

Re: Mixing West System fillers

Post by Rabbit »

you are are going to have a boundary line between the stem and strips caused by the stem, so i think as long as the glue line is an even thickness, preferably thin, it should still look ok. the thickener for glue in the epoxy system i used is pale purple! i'm not sure about the vertical fill, but certainly with any horizontal fill as rod mentioned, slightly darker seems to work. it kinda makes the filler look like part of the grain. (and paulownia has some weird grain! )