Epoxy Sensitivity Observation

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Juneaudave

Epoxy Sensitivity Observation

Post by Juneaudave »

I had been using West and my sensitivity to epoxy had risen to where just the fumes caused rash and itching around my nose...and skin exposure immediately broke me out. I used MAS on the Rice Lake this weekend to glass the hull. I didn't have a bit of reaction, niether from the fumes or from accidental skin exposure. Is this just me or is it common for individuals with sensitivity to react to one epoxy but not to another brand?
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Get an MSDS for the specific epoxies and hardeners and compare the chemical components. Epoxy systems vary on their raw materials. You may be able to identify the chemical(s) that cause your reaction.

http://www.westsystem.com/

Navigate to "Safety" and them click on the "Material Safety Data Sheet" link at the bottom of the page under "Summary"

I wasn't able to find any MSDS's for MAS online. I'm sure they would fax them to you if you called the main faciility.