Raka Epoxy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fz7m0d

Raka Epoxy

Post by fz7m0d »

I am just about to raise the grain and fine sand the outside of my Prospector, so I'm going to be ready for fiberglassing soon (after a lot of vaccuming). I purchased 6 oz glass and Raka 127 resin with 350 hardener. I plan on heating my shop to 70 degrees for however long it takes to glass the hull. Can anyone with experience using Raka give me an idea on how much time I'm looking at between coats for achieving a chemical bond? How many coats are typical using this combination?
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)
canoeblderinmt

Raka Rocks

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Bob,
after much wailing and gnashing of teeth on my first boat last year, I used Raka, and was very pleased with it. I waited a couple of days between coats and sanded with 3M's new Sandblaster Between Coats (that stuff is AWESOME!, no loading up), so I didn't worry about the chemical bond. There has been lots of discussion about this subject in this forum; but I'd just call Raka like I did: they are very helpful.

Good luck!

Greg
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

With most hand laminating epoxies you should recoat before 24 hours has lapsed in order to guarantee a chemical bond between the coats.

But contact Larry at Raka and he can give you the specs for his system.
ron

Post by ron »

I have used Raka apoxy on my Prospector canoe and now my resolute Kayak, I like to put a coat on every 4 to 8 hrs. I will take a day and have all three coats on by that evening. I also recomend you speak to Larry at Raka, he is very good to talk to.