Should I Add a Rib to a Nomad?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

I've been going over this oil-canning thing in my head ever since this post thread started. It's got me fairly worried, as the 20 foot White has a HUGE flat center section. Additionally, now that I have the hull flipped over I can see that I have added a little more rocker than I really want. I've got the inside sanded, and based on the above posts, I'm going to go with a football shaped piece of fiberglass up to the bilge line and then a full sized piece over that. Thanks Sedges for your comments on compression vs tension.

Additionally, I'm going to cut down on the width, by pulling the shear in from 41 inches to about 36 inches. This increases my tumblehome, and flattens the hull a little, cutting some of the rocker. It now looks like about 3 inches of rocker at the bow and stern. I would appreciate any comments on this from you more experienced designers/builders. What effect will rounding the shape of the hull have on tracking, and turning? How will it affect initial vs secondary stability. I would think that, when not loaded, it would decrease my displacement and give me a longer, straighter line through the water. When loaded, I think I'll lose some initial stability but gain better secondary?

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."