The Shape of the Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug

The Shape of the Canoe

Post by Doug »

May be of interest,

( http://www.greenval.com/Shape_of_the_Canoe.html )

All the best,
Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
hoz

all I get is gobblygook.

Post by hoz »

...all I get is gobblygook. John Winters logo and then computerspeak
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Denis

Post by Denis »

It looks like it is an adobe type pdf file but my adobe reader didnt open to read it

Denis
Doug

Post by Doug »

Try this, http://www.greenval.com and follow the links.

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bayport_Bob

Post by Bayport_Bob »

It didn't open properly with Firefox browser, but Internet Exploer worked ok.
Doug

Post by Doug »

?? Can you Google "Green Valley Boats Works"??

www.greenval.com

Good luck,
Doug

Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I bought a paper copy of The Shape of the Canoe a couple of years ago from John Winters and it is a worthwhile purchase. The two programs that they give away with the book are free and available on the internet. KAPER is a drag prediction program used most famously by Sea Kayaker magazine. Bearboat is the program that Kayak Foundry was modeled on. Hopefully, soon, HULLS will start supporting the required field for entry into KAPER.

The book is very deep, and it has taken a great amount of time for me to start to understand the basics of everything that is in there. I took designing my own kayak and using The Shape of the Canoe as reference to really understand some of what he writes.

I wish I knew if more information is in this version vs. my paper version. If it is a significant update, I'd buy it again. It's worth the money.

Anyone know what CANTRAC is?

Bryan
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

This is what John says about Cantrac:

"CANTRAC, my experimental directional stability program."
Doug

Post by Doug »

Bryan,
(for your information)

John Winters
http://www.greenval.com/jwinters.html
(he also hangs out at Canadian Canoe Routes forum, www.myccr.com )

Martin Step
Green Valley Boat Works
P.O. Box 20004, Pioneer Park Postal Outlet
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
N2P 2B4
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Thanks Doug, I've seen him post over there. I fired off an email to Martin about the differences in the paper vs. ebook. We'll see shortly, I hope.