2 launches in 2 days

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Erik, Belgium

2 launches in 2 days

Post by Erik, Belgium »

On saturday we launched Johan's sailing kayak (a converted Guillemot Expedition Single). The plans for the conversion kit were bought from CLC boats. The sailing loom is 4,5m in high. With a light breeze of 2 to 3 beaufort windforce (?) this sailing kayak instantly accelerated to 4 to 5 knots (6 - 8 km/h).

more pics: http://www.qajaq.be/Johan3.htm

And on sunday we launched the 'Qarajaq'. Qarajaq stands for "qajaq for my daughter Kara'. Qarajaq also is a large gletscher that ends in Disko Fjord, near Disko Bay where the original was designed somewhere around 1959).
The model is a 'Disko Bay', design by Hans Friedel of Sweden. With slightly altered dimensions (5.20m x 50 cm instead of 5.15m by 53 cm), she turned out to be a straight tracking kayak, yet responsive to leans and turnes. Rolling and bracing isn't very much of a problem either. The skeg and seat still have to be finished, but I couldn't resist to take her out.

more pics: http://www.qajaq.be/DiskoBay.htm

Erik, Belgium
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Both boats look great and the sailing looks like a fun way to get around.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Well done Johan and Erik. :applause

There's a lot of nice work and fun to be had in both those boats.

Roscoe
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Erik,
Very nice work on both of the boats. I'm sure you and Johan are very happy. Great shot of you on the roll, also. As soon as I get my roll perfected on my canoe, I'll post some pics! :laughing

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Johan sure makes sailing look tempting! I'd like to try it someday!
The Disko is Awesome!
Keep up the great work!
Belgium sure has some great builders over there!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
geordie

Post by geordie »

Dag Eric
Lovely looking kayak. Please tell us what that oblong patch is, just aft and starboard of the cockpit. It looks like a cut-out, but I can't think of what for, so I presume that it's a nameplate.
Also, what type of wood is the deck and hull made of?? Does this wood yellow over time??

Veels geluk
Geordie
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

Nice looking boats Eric. Say, why is it that you kayak guys like to get a dunking by turning your boats over? Isn,t the whole idea of "proper" boating NOT to tip them over??? :confused :big grin
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

hi Geordie,

The wood is picea abies (Nordic spruce), which I brought home on a trip to Sweden. It has grown in a colder climate, and has very few knots. Indeed the color will darker (or yellow) a bit over time.
The cutout area behind the coaming actually is a skeg sliding box, from where I can lower an internal skeg.

Erik, Belgium.