glue; what and where

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Matthew

glue; what and where

Post by Matthew »

It seems the most recomended for general glueing purposes (planks and stems) is titebond 2. In canada how do I get it, or are there good alternatives?
frugal

Post by frugal »

Noah's marine or Lee Valley have it and you can order online if you are not close enough.

From what I have read there is nothing wrong with using any decent Carpenters glue as long as you consider the dried colour with respect to your strips. For stems and gunwales we used epoxy.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

thanks frugal, now I can start planking woohoo!
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Yup - what Frugal said. Any decent carpenter's wood glue should do the trick. Titebond II is great stuff but I'm finding that it's open time can be a little short. There are a lot of alternatives.

Happy gluing!
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Denis

glue

Post by Denis »

I would suggest yellow glue for white cedar and a brown coloured glue for red cedar. I did one white cedar kayak with brown glue and the lines showed in parts of the boat when I did the fairing. Yellow glue is fine for red cedar as well. Doesn't need to be expensive stuff ordinary yellow carpenters glue works fine.

Have fun with it

Denis from Lakefield Ontario
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I learned long ago NOT TO USE YELLOW WOOD GLUE !

After you sand, it is difficult to see, as it blends in with cedar, but when you coat with epoxy it comes back to yellow !!!
Use a dark wood glue, or a neutral color,
I use Elmers, the type that is a gel, It stays where you put it better than others. I also go for the exterior.

Do your self a favor and stay away from YELLOW !

Last bit of good advice, is try to be minimal with the glue when stripping ! Look for a fine tip at a hooby store, the cheap ones work fine . It will save a lot of extra scraping and sanding !!!

Good Luck
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Why not use the new Titebond III, it's waterproof and works great. IMHO
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Don

Post by Don »

Hi
with any luck, your wood will never be in water -- the glass will prevent that from happening so titebond II is adequate. In my area, Windsor Plywood also carries it and it is nice to use. I use it or epoxy for almost all of my glue projects. The epoxy is stronger and also is waterproof so it covers off what I can't do with titebond II.
good luck
don
Finding worms is a sign God wants you to go fishing.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Wow, everybody here is more than helpfull, thanks so much.
I've decided to get titebond III (once I can find it closer to home). Mine will be a red cedar canoe and I don't want any colour mishaps. It seems the only thing slowing me down now is my family, they are all sure I can get the epoxy from a different manufacturer much cheaper. I just want to go with west systems because it's proven for boat building. They want me to research but I want to build, does anybody know of a cheaper alternative to west system? I've never used epoxies and I don't want to waste my summer learning about them. Am I being too lazy, or am I right in choosing the easiest way through?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

There are other good quality epoxies on the market: East, MAS, System three, Raka. Some are competetivley priced and are used regularly by canoe & kayak builders.