How many planks are needed

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
bert304

How many planks are needed

Post by bert304 »

I have been trying to figure out how many planks I will need for my 15 foot Ranger. I understand I need about 50 board feet but I am trying to figure out how many boards I need if I get 8 inch wide boards. I am using a 1/8 blade and I figure for every plank I cut it would be 1/4 plus 1/8 for a total of 3/8 of material cut each time. So for every inch in width of board I will get about 3 pieces so I get a minium of 24 pieces per board. I am not sure how many planks it takes for one canoe. I am not looking for an exact number just a close number like it might take 50 for each side or 45 planks.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

If you have your forms (or the plans). Measure the circumference of your middle form from sheer to sheer and divide by the width of each strip (minus bead/cove loss). It's that simple.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
vann evans

Post by vann evans »

You may get more strips if you use a narrow kerf rip blade. I used the one made by Freud . They have a model LU87R that depending on your blade size has a vey narrow kerf. I used a 10" blade and the kerf is listed as .094"(which is approximately 3/32"). The cuts were smooth and the waste was minimal.

Whatever you decide, make extras for breakage, bad edges and color choices. I had about 15 left over from my Freedom 15 and was glad to have that many left. Most of them were rejects for one reason or another.

Vann Evans
shoottmx

Post by shoottmx »

To save waste I use a 7 1/4" 24 tooth circular saw blade on my 10" table saw for ripping strips. The Freud blades I have are 1/16" (.0625") thick and were only around $25. Thinner and cheaper than a 10" thin kerf and give a good smooth finish on cedar. It will raise high enough to rip a 2x4 on the 2" side. I have ripped cedar 2x4's into 24- 3/32" strips. There's very little waste but the sawdust is just that--dust. A good dust collector is a must.

Gary
www.adifferenteye.com