Square Stern Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tom in MN

Square Stern Canoe

Post by Tom in MN »

I am thinking of building a square stern canoe. We take a trip each year to the BWCA, where we motor in on lakes where outboards are allowed, then we portage and take day trips into different areas and fish, sitesee, whatever. I was thinking of building a square stern canoe that once in to our compsite, could remove the motor and portage the canoe. So, it has to be big and strong enough to hold an outboard, two people and gear, but yet light enough to portage without killing me. I would say under 65 lbs. I have copied the plans for the 20 ft. White Guide in Gilpatricks book, and thought if I used ultra light building techniques, could get it down under 70 lbs. It appears that if I turn station 3 into the transome, I would have a canoe that is 16'8" long. Should be big enough for people and gear.

Juneau Dave, what is the model on your profile picture? Any suggestions on square stern models or configurations?
sedges

Y stern

Post by sedges »

I would suggest a "Y" stern canoe, rather than just truncating a canoe at a station. I you plan to paddle this canoe as well as motor it the bottom of the transom needs to be above the waterline. If it is not, paddling will be slow and painful.

If your motor is small enough, a motor bracket could be attached to normal canoe with the motor off to the side of the canoe rather than hanging off the stern. People have been doing that since the invention of motors and it works well.

Here is an example of a y-stern canoe:

http://islandfallscanoe.com/inventory-p ... &pic=52486

Example of motor bracket:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 0_325-14-0
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

Sedges,

Thanks for the link to the Y stern, I had not considered that. Does one just build with the normal stem, then saw it off and fit in the transom? I already have plans for the 20' White Guide, I hate to buy another set of similar plans just for the transom detail

I have a lot of canoes to paddle in moving water. What I was looking for was a car topable canoe, that I can take camping and use primarily in flat water lakes, with the motor on, or row it. I am considering just building the standard canoe and using a bracket but trying to weigh my options.

I think all three options will work for my purpose, my main concern was a design light enough to portage 200 rods or so, strong enough to carry a 3-4 HP outboard and big enough to hold two people with 3-4 days worth of gear. Something in the 16' range, 65 lbs would probably be what I am after. Maybe a smaller canoe with the Y transom might be a better way to go. The full 20' White might be a bit too heavy and I get older every day.
sedges

Post by sedges »

I would try out the bracket of one of your current canoes. I think the bracket is easier to deal with because the motor is to one side instead of straight behind you. makes it easier to operate that way. Being near the end of the boat, having the motor off-set from the center really doesn't affect side ways trim much at all. The weight of the motor will still be inside the waterline beam measurements, which is what effects stability.

For how you are going to use this canoe, a 16-17 footer would be fine as long as you are not really big folks, or pack way too much stuff.

3 HP is definitely as high as you need to go. maybe smaller if they make such a thing.

Wow! Honda makes a 2HP 4-stroke weighs only 27 lbs.

http://www.honda-marine.com/modelDetail ... lGroup=BF2
Glen Smith

Square stern canoe

Post by Glen Smith »

I am posting this on behalf of a non-member.
Hi !
My name is Russell Strauchman I am hooked on fly fishing. I have a 16' cedar strip canoe I built Some years ago. It still works just fine, However I don't. I have artheritis in my shoulder making it dificult to paddle around. I have been looking for a square stern plan to build with no luck, so I'm going to plan B. Modify an existing design to a square stern model. My first thought is your model Freedom 17' 9" cut back to 16' give or take an inch or two, what are your thoughts or should I consider a diffrent model. Let me know, Please !

Thanks ! Russ
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I am posting this response on behalf of Steve Killing:
Russ,
We have thought many times that we should draw up a square stern canoe, but have not done it. The Freedom 17/9 is a good candidate as you have identified - it has good stability and has the length that could be cut down. As a paddling canoe it will be less efficient with the square transom under the water, but would be satisfactory with a small motor. I see no problem with the solution and we would like to get your feedback on both the process and the performance of the final results. Best of luck with the project.
Regards,
Steve Killing
designer for Bear Mountain