Ranger 15

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jon Boy

Ranger 15

Post by Jon Boy »

Hi
I am about to start building a 15ft ranger I can't wait to start ,and shall be buying in my strips already machined my question is, how many strips will it take to complete this boat ? .Ive seen from the bearmountain boat shop website that packs of strips are sold in quantities of 60 is this an adequate amount
thanks for any replies
Jon Boy
willo

Post by willo »

The Ranger is a nice canoe , I have built three , 60 full length strips will be fine. Good luck and enjoy ypur build
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Thanks for the reply Willo.
I only ask because as i mentioned in my post i am buying the strips in and have been offered 50 should i ask for more ? Would be great to get the advise from someone with such experience .Thanks Jon Boy
willo

Post by willo »

I think 50 strips would not be enough. Its better to have more than you need , mistakes happen. Are the strips 7/8" or 3/4" , you will deffinitely be short with 50 3/4" strips. IT is -20 C . here right now , when it warms up a bit I can go out and count strips on a Ranger
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

I like to think in terms of how many linear feet of strips does one need, as with your question we do not know the length of the strips you intend to buy. Are the full length strips 16', 18', 20'? for a 15' canoe, I am going to say you need in the range of 1200-1300 linear feet if the strips are 3/4" wide. When you get to closing the football, full length is a non factor as you are going to cut smaller and smaller strips out of the long ones you have. I find it easier to use two pieces when closing the football, so a lot of the pieces that are trimmed of the stems early in the stripping process get reused on the football.

Also, having and keeping a few extra strips is nice because you never know when you might have to do a repair, and having the same strips you built with will be nice in the event an unfortunate event happens.

This is another way to look at it, but you can do the math on the 50 or 60 strips, knowing the lenght and see how it compares to 1200-1300 linear ft.
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Thanks for the replies ,-20 wow ,wet and windy here and cold but not freezing we had snow before christmas that snarled the country up for a week or so but nothing like that.
The strips are sixteen ft and 3/4 inch wide so at 1200 ft i would need around 75? is that correct Thanks Jon Boy
willo

Post by willo »

With 3/4 " you might be wise to get 70 or more. After looking at the canoe 60 strips would be to few. The last one I built had 7/8". The one I have here at home has 3/4. I don't know how much the price difference would be for you , but having extra is probaly cheaper then paying to have more shipped.