Sanding first coat of resin

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
backpaddler

Sanding first coat of resin

Post by backpaddler »

I'm getting very close to the point of laying up the first layer of fiberglass and was wondering if it were to cure past the chemical bonding point and I had to sand it to gain a mechanical bond of the second coat, how does one not hit the fiberglass cloth ?
Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers
Backpaddler
Glen Smith

Re: Sanding first coat of resin

Post by Glen Smith »

I sand by hand with 120 grit paper. Just sand enough to get rid of the majority of the shine. If there are any litte shiny dimples they can be left alone. However, if you have any runs or sags you should use a cabinet scraper to bring them down fair with the surface.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

another trick to try is to use a maroon automotive scuff pad. i often use them when prepping for primer on surfaces that have a texture that ordinary paper can sand through. it removes the gloss, and the maroon ones give a good key. the pads tend to follow the contours of the surface, which would be especially useful for the weave of glass cloth under a thin layer of epoxy without exposing the glass.
backpaddler

Post by backpaddler »

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help.
I'm sure there will be more questions to follow.

Cheers