How much to plane from the inside stem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
LeeStott

How much to plane from the inside stem

Post by LeeStott »

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum so this topic may have been covered several times.

I'm building a freedom 17 with virtually no woodworking experience and I have to say it's (so far) going very well. I'm almost stripped to the top of the inner stem. My question is.. once this removed there will be a lot of the inner stem raised on the inside of the canoe, do I plane this flat or leave it proud? Any advice or even a picture will be great.

Many thanks
Rod Tait

Re: How much to plane from the inside stem

Post by Rod Tait »

The inner stem is left proud on the inside. Hopefully you sanded the top and sides of the stem (top when canoe is upright) and rounded over the end before you began building as it is hard to get in there after planking and clean it up. The fiberglass will either run up to or up the sides of the inside stem when you glass the inside. Hope that helps.
LeeStott

Re: How much to plane from the inside stem

Post by LeeStott »

Hi Rod,
It does help thanks and no I didn't sand them, however. I can still get to them as I'm only on the top of the stem curve with the planking. Another two days and I would be too late.