Sanding interior 15' Bob's Special

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mikestenger

Sanding interior 15' Bob's Special

Post by mikestenger »

I am about halfway thru sanding interior. Is it important to sand until the interior is perfectly rounded or is leaving some traces of the 'flats' OK?

It seems to me that the cloth and a couple of coats of resin will make traces of the 'flats' pretty subtle.

What do the experts think? Thanks.
15' Bob's Special...Boat completed in late October 2007.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

A well rounded hull interior looks good. The important thing is to not have any "steps" between the strips or you will get air bubbles when you glass.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Mike...that probably depends on what is acceptable to you. Most likely others won't notice.

Personnally, I wouldn't rely on the glass smoothing things out. Sanding the inside is tough on any canoe. A good scraper really helps, even if you have already got the inside in pretty good shape.
Holmes

Agreed...

Post by Holmes »

I really like the Pro-Prep with the crescent blade for inside work. It'll take the steps down quicker than sanding.

After the scraping is done I like to use a 6" PSA sanding disc mounted on a piece of foam pool noodle for the bilge, bow, and stern areas. For the big flatter areas I take an old piece of minicell and fashion a slightly curved sanding block of rather large propertion making a nice two-handed block.

Good luck on your project - it won't be long now!

Holmes