Preparing the hull for varnishing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
KARKAUAI

Preparing the hull for varnishing

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha again,
I'm preparing the hull for varnishing, and no matter how many times I look, I find more tiny (1/16 to 1/8") spots where the epoxy is still shiny. I rub them down, check it over again, then next time I go in (I guess with different light, or turn the hull over) I find more. Just how critical is it that I get ALL of them before varnishing? Do they leave a nidus for the varnish to start peeling off to the extent that the varnish peels off around these spots with time? I'm going to have a furniture finisher (Hickory's got a large # of furniture makers) to spray on 4 or 5 coats of varnish, and don't want to find my hull peeling when I get it over to HI this winter.
Mahalo,
Kent
A hui ho,
Kent
Gord

Spots

Post by Gord »

I doubt they will be that noticable, sounds like you got most of them in any case. When
you have the varnish done they will blend. I have built several canoes & Kayaks I spend
some time on the types of spots you mentioned and have never found them to stand out
after varnish. A varnish with a real glossy finish will help to hide any inprefections. I have started useing a two part poly urathane in place of varnish, its sprayed on , and the finish is ultra glossy.

gc
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

HI, Gord,
Thanks for your answer. I was really more concerned that the varnish might not stick adequately to the shiny spots...should I be?
How do you repair the polyurethane when it get's dinged? I've read other posts in the past that varnish was recommended because it COULD be repaired.
A hui ho,
Kent
Gord

Post by Gord »

As long as you have sanded over the spots you will have no problem with the varnish adherring to the surface. I do my final sanding with 220 grit paper. I give a once over with 400 just before the finish is applied.

The Poly urathane is basically a aircraft finish. Its very duracble and resists abrasion much better than varnish. Any repairs if needed are done the same as varnish, you scuff it up with 400 grit then reapply. Normally poly urathane is sprayed, the product is very toxic and should only be done under controlled conditions. Its childs play for body shops as they have the proper equipment. Working from the home with it in the spray form could be fatal if the proper safety protocols are not followed. (leave to the experts)

You can purchase a 3rd component that allows it to be brush on, this is far less dangerous than spraying and can be used for touch up work.
canoeblderinmt

Ditto on the spots

Post by canoeblderinmt »

KARKAUAI,
I noticed the same little annoying spots on my Guide. I know they are low spots, and to get rid of them completely means sanding off a lot of epoxy! For my last sanding, I used 320 without a pad so I could scuff those spots up. The varnish went on and held great, even after lots of scrapes down our low rivers in August.

BTW - try the new sandpaper from 3M called SandBlaster! It is awesome! It is specially made for sanding between coats, and has some kind of release agent so the epoxy dust does not gum up your pad. If you are sanding and you get a build-up, just hit it with a rubber eraser and it comes right off. I did my whole boat, like 6 coats of epoxy and 5 of varnish, with only 5 sheets of this stuff! Try this link:

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en00 ... utput_html

I also echo Gord's thoughts about using Gloss. I tried Semi for my first coat thinking the dulled surface would not show so many imperfections, but it works the other way around! Gloss all the way!

Looking forward to pictures of the finished work!
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Mahalo, canobldrinmt,
I'm working on the outriggers now, so won't start varnishing till everything's done. I'll post some pics when it's finished.
A hui ho,
Kent