Red Bird table of offsets

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Stephan

Red Bird table of offsets

Post by Stephan »

I am confused.... I am looking at the Red Birds table of offsets in Canoecraft, Revised and Expanded, at Station 0, WL 14,16,& 18. I see a 1/2 width of 16 1/4+ inches, which times 2 = 32 1/2 inches. This is not the specified 35 inches specified. Further the web site specifies 33 1/2 inches. Is the table of offsets wrong or am I all wet???

Stephan
Steve Killing

RedBird Offsets

Post by Steve Killing »

Stephan,
A couple of notes:
This excerpt is from the FAQ's on this site about lofting boats from CanoeCraft...

Q In the newly revised Canoecraft, my understanding from the text of the book is that the points are to the outside of the planking, however the points in the table of Half-Breadths seem to be 1/2 an inch shy of the lines when compared to the corresponding diagram. Can you please verify that the points as given in the tables are correct (to the outside of the planking?

A The numbers are fine but the text was incorrect. The lines for the drawings are to the inside of the planking. This has been corrected in more recent printings.

And a further note from me...

The offsets listed on page 58 for the Redbird are correct. The beam you have noted is correct on the website at 33.50" and the beam waterline is 31.6". On page 59 the spec for the max beam is listed incorrectly.

Here is how the arithmetic goes. For station 0 at waterline 14" the offset is 16 7/16" x 2 = 32.875. When you add 1/4" either side for the planking thickness you get 33 3/8". The maxiumum beam is actually between waterlines 14 and 16 and peaks at just under 33 1/2", hence the website value of 33.5" .

Hope that clears it up.
Regards,
Steve Killing
Stephan

Thanks for clearing that up.

Post by Stephan »

Steve,
I had wonder if the measurement was from the outside of the plank. At first that silly 1/2 inch didn't bother me, but over time it just nagged at me. Yea, I am a nerd.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Stephan