15' Freedom templates

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jhaab

15' Freedom templates

Post by jhaab »

I am getting ready to start buiilding a 15' freedom from plans I purchased from Bear Mountain. Has ayone built this canoe that would still have the wooden formers that I can purchase to use in the construction of my 15' Freedom.

Thanks!

Jason
David James

Post by David James »

Hi Jason,

I have F17 forms leaning against the wall out in my garage. Let me know if you're interested.

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
jhaab

Post by jhaab »

David,

Is the formers much different from the 15' to the 17'?

Thanks!

Jason
David James

Post by David James »

Hi Jason

I'm sure the forms are different. Maybe the question you have is whether or not the forms for an F17 could be used to build an F15. I've heard of shortening or lengthening a canoe by spacing the forms either closer together (for a shorter boat) or farther appart (for a longer one), but I think trying to shorten the length of an F17 by two feet might be a bit extreme. In any case, you would be welcome to use my forms provided you pay Bear Mountain / Steve Killing the appropriate royalty, which I think is around $45 or $50. I would be glad to see my forms used agian.

Can any of you experts out there comment on this "shortening" possibility? :thinking

Dave, in Glenview, Illinois
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Shortening the F17 to 15 feet would be like blindly designing a new canoe with unpredictable results. The F17 forms could be recut to conform to the F15 plans and only a few new forms would be needed. I can't see much purpose in doing this unless you already have the F17 forms in your posession. Royalty fees for reusing plans or forms are currently $40.

Jason, if you have the plans for the F15, why not cut out your own forms?